The Australian Outdoor Power Equipment Industry
We have had exposure to this industry for many years and have always been fascinated with the degree of difficulty in order to develop a decent website. While our statement below is NOT 100% correct for every manufacturer or distributor; it is the vast majority that suffers the inconsistencies below!
The issues are and always have been:
- Lack of industry interest in providing accurate product images and model specification
- Poor manufacturer's websites with little to no collateral for dealers to work with
- Poor information and conflicting model specifications across global markets
- A complete lack of product video information to go with today's Web 3.0 environment
- Lack of manufacturers' understanding of the internet and social media implications
- Disinterest in social media marketing
- The overall industries inability to move forward with marketing - still staying with age-old "direct mail and catalogues" that are almost irrelevant in today's marketplace
To make matters worse it is incredibly difficult for an OPE retailer to find a web developer that understands their business, never mind the complexity of the model programs and relative product feature sets.
It really has been ALL too hard!
In March 2017 we set about building a database driven solution that provides a hosted catalogue for the dealer, that includes the main specifications for each product, the main feature set, videos when available, as well as downloads to appropriate brochures and flyers.
The main contention is that ALL the product material and pricing is up to date and reflects the current promotional program of each manufacturer or distributor. The idea is that the website visitor has access to ALL the available information and pricing WITHOUT leaving the dealer's website.
While we have had little email feedback from clients; many arrive in the shop with the product on the dealer's website saved in their phone. All they want to know then is the availability! Overall sales have increased every month since the program began and the number of Facebook interaction has grown, while the website audience is growing by 30% each month.
Social Media Campaigns
Developing social media campaigns is not rocket science, but the online jargon and systems take some understanding.
The social media platform is the most unbelievable paradigm - you can use video to "touch" your prospective client many times through this medium. You can literally follow them on Facebook - day in day out placing your brand in front them.
Until now we have never had cost-effective tools to consider doing this in this industry as TV was always "price prohibitive" as our price point does not justify the expenditure; especially in handheld product.
State tuned - we are about 75% through our trial and the results have been quite astounding!